It is a thousand kilometers across that desert (沙漠). The road is 1 nearly all the way. Sometimes there is a deep sand. A driver must then put his foot down hard and drive through! There are three small 2 along the way. Vick reached the first place at ten o’clock p. m. He had his 3 in a little restaurant (餐馆) there. It was a warm 4 in August. Vick wanted to 5 through the night. The nights are warm enough in August, but the days are very, very 6 .
He left the restaurant at 11: 30 and drove over 7 hours. There wasn’t a moon, but the 8 were wonderful. There was nothing else on die road. Vick thought, "It’s an empty desert. No tree, house, man. " He could 9 the endless, white road in the car’s headlights(车灯). A million stars looked down on him.
It was two o’clock in the morning. Vick stopped the car. He was two hundred kilo-meters from the 10 town: "I’ll light the cooker( 炊具)," he thought, "and make some tea. " He got out of the car.
He heard some sounds, ten or fifteen meters 11 . He could not see anything in the darkness(黑暗). A man said, "Good morning. It’s a 12 morning, isn’t it?" The man came forward (向前),out of the darkness; out of the desert. Vick did not move. The man said, "You are going to 13 some tea, aren’t you? I often get a cup of tea at this time. It’s two o’clock. Cars always 14 near here at this time. Sometimes I get a 15 . Now listen, and I’ll tell you a story. Then you’ll give me…"
1. A. short B. good C. busy D. well
2. A. cities B. hotels C. villages D. towns
3. A. tea B. supper C. lunch D. breakfast
4. A. night B. day C. season D. month
5. A. live B. stay C. drive D. walk
6. A. cold B. cool C. hot D. warm
7. A. two B. seven C. ten D. fourteen
8. A. trees B. animals C. stars D. clouds
9. A. see B. ride C. pass D. find
10. A. home B. other C. next D. last
11. A. about B. from C. far D. away
12. A. noisy B. lovely C. sleepy D. sunny
13. A. eat B. make C. cook D. drink
14. A. leave B. stop C. meet D. run
15. A. bread B. car C. rest D. meal
11.D。fifteen meters away 距……远。
13.B。make tea 泡茶。