一. Analysis of the teaching materials教学内容分析
课题：Book5 Unit1----John Snow Defeats “King Cholera”(Reading)
本课是一篇阅读课文，出自人民教育出版的高中英语学生用书必修五。在第一节课Warming up里面初步接触和了解了不同领域的科学家们对人类的贡献及其成果;并且在Pre-reading里通过若干问题的讨论，学生初步了解得出科学观点所需的过程。在此基础上，本节课介绍英国著名医生John Snow如何通过考察、分析、探究的科学方法，发现并控制霍乱这种传染病。通过阅读课文，使学生感悟科学家的周密观察、勇于探索、认真分析的科学精神，以及了解科学发现的全过程具有科学的严密性，培养学生的逻辑分析能力。还通过各种课堂活动的开展，进一步培养学生准确获取信息、归纳文章大意以及运用文章内容，准确使用目标语表达的能力。
二. Analysis of the students学情分析
三. Learning Method学法指导
四. Teaching Aims 教学目标
1) To train the students’ ability in skimming & detailed reading.
2) To train the students’ ability of summarizing a passage.
To lead the students to get some information on the steps of a scientific research through reading.
3. Emotional Aim
1).Get the students to adapt the scientific spirit in their pursuit of knowledge.
2). Develop the students’ ability of group cooperation and pair work.
五.Teaching important and difficult points 教学重难点
1). Understand the spirit of science and scientists.
2). Understand the details of each stage in examining a new scientific idea.
3). Make up a dialogue according to a certain situation and the content of this passage.
六.Teaching method 教学方法
1) Communicative Approach交际教学法;
2) Task-based Approach任务型语言教学法;
3) Cooperative Learning Approach合作学习教学法.
七. Teaching Aids 教具准备
Multi-media and the blackboard
八.Teaching Procedures 教学过程
Step I Revision (2 minutes)
1)Present the students a guessing game for them to review the great scientists and their contribution.
2) Review the ways of doing a scientific research.
Step II Reading (25minutes)
Let the students read through the whole passage and finish the required task and help them to have a better understanding of the article by providing some background information and analysis.
Ask the students to look at the title and find out “Who, what”. Then read quickly to find out “when, where”.
Task 2 Detailed reading
The students are required to find out the detailed information according to the steps of a scientific research.
1) What is the problem? ------The cholera was the most deadly disease of its day. Neither its cause, nor its cure was understood.
2) Make up a question: Which theory to believe in?
Idea 1: Cholera multiplied in the air without reason. A cloud of dangerous gas would float around until it found its victims.
Idea 2: People absorbed it with their meals.
3) What method did he use? ----- A map of the Broad Street
Teacher should help the students to analyse the map, For the map is the most valuable clue about the cause of the disease.
4) Analyse the results ---- What happened to the pump water?
5) Collect results ---- The water was from the river which had been polluted by the dirty water from London.
6) Find supporting evidence: What extra evidence did he find?
Key: Two other deaths. A woman and her daughter who lived far away but drank the water also
7) Draw a conclusion with certainty ----- The polluted water carried the disease.
Task 3 Comprehending
Ask the students to number the events in the order that they happened to help them recall the
content of the passage.
Step III Summary (7 minutes)
1) Analyse the style of the passage.---- Narration
2) Summarize the content of the passage using about 30 words.
Ask some students to present their answers and give them advice to correct it. Then give a sample answer.
Step IV Reading and Speaking (10 minutes)
Part A 模仿朗读
Part B 角色扮演
角色：Anne and Jenny
你知道有关John Snow 的故事吗?
1. Q: Do you know anything about John Snow?
A: Yes, John Snow was a famous doctor in London. He defeated “ King Cholera”.
2. Q: Was cholera very terrible in his day?
A: Yes, it was the most deadly disease at that time.
3. Q: What did he think was the cause of cholera?
A: He thought that people absorbed this disease into their bodies with their meals.
4. Q: How did he prove his theory?
A: He marked on a map the exact place where all the dead people had lived, which gave him a valuable clue about the cause of the disease.
5. Q: What conclusion did he draw?
A: He drew a conclusion that polluted water carried the virus.
Step V Homework (1minutes)
1 Read the passage fluently.
2. Act out the Role Play with your partner after class.
九. The design of the blackboard 板书设计
Unit 1 Great Scientists
---- John snow defeats “ King Cholera ”
1. Who Summary
2. What ――→ Narration
Speaking ---- Part B
Q1 Do you … ?
Q2 Was cholera… ?
Q3 What did he think was… ?
Q4 How did he… ?
Q5 What… ?