1. What were people doing yesterday at the time of the rainstorm?
【解析1】at the time of 在...... 的时候 （常用于过去进行时）
【解析2】rainstorm n 暴风雨 raincoat 雨衣 raindrop雨滴
2.I called at seven and you didn’t pick up. 我七点钟给你打电话，你没有接。
接电话 Tom, I called you, but you didn’t pick up
捡起；拾起 I pick up a wallet on my way home
（开车）接某人 I will pick you up at the station
学到；获得 He was picking up the skills quickly.
3. That’s strange. 真奇怪.
【解析】strange adj. 奇怪的、陌生的 →strangely adv奇怪地 →stranger n 陌生人
be strange to 对……感到陌生
4. With no light outside, it felt like midnight. 外面没有一丝光亮，让人感觉这是在午夜。
【解析1】with + n +adv ，在句中做伴随状语
with +n +adj. She can see stars in the dark sky with the window open.
【解析2】feel like doing sth = would like/want to do sth想要做某事
I feel like _______ (catch) a clod today.
5. The news on TV reported that a heavy rainstorm was in the area. 电视新闻报道，这个地区有一场大暴雨。
【解析】report v 报道 → reporter n 记者
make a report 做报告
weather report 天气预报
give a report 作报告
It’s reported that… 据报道
I want to be a ___________(report) when I grow up.
6. so ,when the rainstorm suddenly came, what were you doing?
【解析】so 的用法： 无实际意义，表示惊讶或领会，引出后面内容做语气词
So, you were the first one to enter the classroom.
so that +从句 “以便，为了……”
I fixed the TV so that we can watch it tonight
7. I see. I called again at eight and you didn’t answer then either.
【解析1】I see . 我知道了。 （表示通过别人提醒而明白、了解）
( ) -It’s bad for your eyes to read in the sun.
A. I’m OK B. I don’t know C. I’m sorry D. I see
【拓展】 see sb. do sth 看到某人做某事
see sb. doing sth 看到某人正在做某事
8. Ben’s dad was putting pieces of wood over the windows while his mom was making sure the flashlights and radio were working.
( ) Amy was reading a book _____ I came in.
A. when B. while
C. because D. though
( ) ______the children have fun, parents can take dance lessons on the beach.
A. When B. If C. While D. Once
【解析2】make sure确信； 确保
make sure to do sth
make sure of
Please make sure to turn off the computer when you leave.
Do you know the time of the train? You’d better make sure of it.
( ) There aren’t many tickets left for the concert, you'd better ______that you get one today.
A. make sure of B. make a decision
C. make sure D. make plans
【解析3】work 运转；发挥作用 The madicine doesn’t work.
He has too much work to do. 他要做的工作太多。
He has read many of Hemingway’s works.
The glass works（=factory) is [are] near the station. 玻璃工厂在车站附近。
12. Ben was helping his mom make dinner when the rain began to beat heavily against the windows.
We beat them by the score of 2 to 1.
Which team won the football match?
【拓展】heavy adj. 重的（反） light → heavily adv 猛烈地
【解析3】 against 倚；碰；撞
⑴ 表示“反对”，其反义词为 for。若表示“强烈反对”，一般用副词 strongly：
Are you for or against the plan?
The teacher’s desk is against the wall.
He stood leaning against the tree.
13.Ben could not sleep at first.
【解析】 at first 首先；最初
【拓展】(1) at first = at the beginning 最初，开始 【强调在时间顺序或做某事过程等开始之初】
(2) first of all 首先，第一 【表明陈述事情的重要性】
14. He finally fell asleep when the wind was dying down at around 3:00 a.m.
【解析1】 fall asleep 进入梦乡；睡着
be asleep强调睡着的状态 The baby is asleep.
fall asleep强调入睡的动作 My father was so tired that he fell asleep quickly.
15. When he woke up. the sun was rising. 当他醒来的时候，太阳已经升起来了。
【解析1】wake up (v+ adv) 醒来；睡醒
rise升起；上升主语自身移向较高位置 Price rose gradually.
raise举起；提高主语发出的动作作用于其他事物 Let’s raise our glasses to Tom.
16. Fallen trees, broken windows and rubbish were everywhere.
【解析1】过去分词做定语 fallen leaves 落叶
We have many friends everywhere in the world.
somewhere 某个地方多用于肯定句中You can go somewhere you like to.
anywhere 任何地方否定句 You can’t go anywhere.
疑问句 Can I go anywhere I choose.
17. They joined the neighbors to help clean up the neigh hood together.
【解析】 join 加入；参加
【辨析】join/join in/take part in
(1) join=be a member of 参加 ,指加入某种组织，并成为其中的一员。
join the army / party 入伍/ 党
join the club 加入俱乐部
◆ join in 后接活动名称
◆ join sb. 加入到某个人群之中
(2) take part in 参加，指加入群体活动中并在活动中发挥重要作用。
18.turn on the radio 打开收音机
【解析】turn on 打开（反）turn off 关掉
19. When we got to the place of the accident, the car was in bad shape from hitting a tree.
【解析】get to 到达
get → got→ gotten v 得到
【辨析】get/ reach/ arrive
get to +地点=arrive in/at +地点=reach+地点
get on 上车 get up 起床 get used to 习惯于
get along with sb 与某人相处融洽 get together相聚
1. What event happened at the school yesterday? 昨天学校发生了什么事？
【解析】 happen 发生；碰巧（指偶然性发生）
(1) happen “发生”没有被动语态 ，主语是物，强调某事发生的偶然性
a. sth. happen to sb. 某事发生在某人身上
What happened to you?=What was wrong with him?
b. sb. happen to do sth. 某人碰巧做某事
She happened ________(be) out when we called.
(2)take place 发生，指事情有计划有安排地发生
The sports meeting took place in our school last week.
(3) It happened that…碰巧
2.Robert Allen is now over 50, but he was a school pupil at that time.
【解析】 over= more than 超过
3.When the school basketball competition started, Kate was still making her way to school.
【解析】 make one’s way to … 在某人去……的路上
4. Our teacher said, “ Dr. King died just 10 minutes ago.”
【解析】一段时间+ ago 之前，用于一般过去时
5. We were completely surprised! 我们完全震惊了！
【解析】complete v 完成 adj. 完整的 →completely 彻底地；完全地
6. My parents did not talk after that, and we finished the rest of our dinner in silence.
【解析】 the rest of … “其余的，剩下的” ,做主语时，其谓语动词的数要与the rest of 修饰的名词一致。
The rest of meat goes bad.
The rest of workers are still working hard.
7. School closed for the day, and Robert and his friends walked home in silence. 学校停课一天，罗柏特和他的朋友们沉默地走回了家。
【解析】silence n. 沉默 → silent 沉默；缄默；无声
in silence 沉默地、无声地 = silently
keep silent 保持沉默
8. More recently , most Americans remember what they were doing when the World Trade Center in New York was taken down by terrorists. 最近，大部分美国人还记得当纽约世贸大楼被恐怖分子袭击的时候自己在做什么。
【解析1】remember to do sth与remember doing sth的用法区别。
⑴ remember to do sth记得去做某事（此事还未做）
Remember to turn off the light when you leave the room.
⑵ remember doing sth记得做过某事（此事已做完）
I remember turning off the light when I left the room.
【解析2】take down 拆掉；拆毁
【解析3】terror n. 恐怖 → terrorist 恐怖分子
【拓展】 art n. 艺术→ artist n.艺术家 science n. 科学→ scientist 科学家
piano n. 钢琴 →pianist n. 钢琴家
9.I was so scared that I could hardly think clearly after that.
【解析】hardly 几乎不； 绝不
10. Robert and his friends were surprised to hear the news.
【解析1】be surprised to do sth 做某事很吃惊
【结构】：hear sb. do sth听见某人做某事；
hear sb. doing sth听见某人正在做某事
11. Kate didn’t think her friend was telling the truth about the event.
【解析】true adj. 真的 → truly adv. 真地 →truth 实情；事实
honest = to tell (you) the truth老实说；说实话
He was cooking at six last night.
I was staying here from March to May last year.
⑵ 与过去进行时连用的时间状语，常见的有 at nine last night/at that time=then/at this time yesterday/或有when the teacher came in/ while he was reading的提示
⑶ 过去进行时的构成：was\were +现在分词
肯定句 He was cooking at six last night.
否定句 He was not cooking at six last night.
一般疑问句 Was he cooking at six last night?
两回答 Yes, he was. /No, he wasn’t.
特殊疑问句 What was he doing at six last night?
Jim was reading when the teacher came in.
Jim was reading while Kate was watching TV.
Jim came in while Kate was watching TV.
He watched TV last night.（过去时间last night, 用一般过去时）
He was watching TV at nine last night. (过去时间last night+点时间at nine, 用过去进行时)