1. what 5-letter word has 6 left when you take 2 letters away?
哪个五个字母的单词当你去掉两个单词后还剩 6 个?
key: sixth 答案：sixth，去掉后是six
2. a big indian and a little indian are walking down the street, the little indian is the son of the big indian, but the big indian is not the father of the little indian, how is this possible?
key：the big indian is the mother of the little indian
3. what has four eyes but cannot see? 什么有四个眼睛，但是看不见？
谜语答案：mississippi 谜语解析：有 4 个i，但是因为是地名，所以看不见。 飘在密西西比河上的鸡蛋是从哪儿来的？
答案：from a hen . 是母鸡生下来的。
5. whats the beginning of eternity, the end of time and space; the beginning of end, and the end of every place?
什么是永恒的开始，是时间的结束，是结局的开始，是每一个地方的结束? key: the letter e.答案：字母 e, 看这四个单词的结尾就明白了。
6. what stays hot even if put it in a fridge? 什么东西即使放到冰箱中也是热的？ 答案：pepper(胡椒粉)谜语解析：hot也有“辣”的意思
7. what fruit is never found singly? key: pear 什么水果永远都不会是单数? 答案:pear(梨) 谜语解析:pear和pair(一双)读音相同
8. with which hand do you write? 你用哪只手写字呢?
key: neither, i use a pen! 答案：都不用，我用笔
9. what man cannot live in a house? 什么人不能住在房子里?
10. what never asks questions but gets a lot of answers?
11. what question can you never answer yes to? 什么问题你永远也不能回答是谜语答案：are you dead?（你死了吗?）are you asleep? (你睡着了吗)
12. what goes on four legs in the morning，on two at noon，and on three in the evening?
谜语答案：people. they crawled when they were babies and walked with two legs before they had to rely on a crutch in old age.
14. what do we get if we cross a woodpecker with a homing pigeon？
答案：a bird that knocks on the door when delivering messages.
答案：in the dictionary. 在字典里。
16. what do you know about the kings of france? 你对法国君主有什么了解？ 答案：they are all dead. 他们都死了。
17. what must you do before you return a book to the library?
key: borrow the book from library.答案：从图书馆借书
18. how many sides does a circle have?一个圆有几个面?
key: two，the inside and the outside 答案：两面，里面和外面
19. what tree is always very sad? 什么树总是很伤心?
key: weeping willow 答案：垂柳.
谜语解析： weeping willow的意思是垂柳， weeping是哭， willow是柳树
20. when can you get water with a net? 什么时候你可以用网拿到水呢？
key: when water is turned into ice 答案：当水变成冰的时候
21. why are people tired on april fools day? 为什么在愚人节人们都很累？
key: because they have just had a long march.答案：因为他们刚过了长长的三月。march 三月;行军.
22. whats the poorest bank in the world? 世界上最贫穷的银行是什么？
key: the river bank答案：河岸。bank还有河岸的意思
23. what is heavier in summer than in winter? 什么东西夏天比冬天重? key：traffic to the beach
24. what bird lifts heavy things? 什么鸟可以举起来很重的东西？
26. what is yours but is used by others more than by yourself?
key: your name 答案：你的名字
27. what always goes up and never goes down? 什么东西永远只升不降 key: your age 答案：你的年龄
28. what will you break once you say it?什么东西你说出来就打破了它? key: silence 答案：沉默
29. why is the library the highest building? 为什么图书馆是最高的建筑？ key: it has the most stories?
答案：因为它有最多的楼层 (story有两层意思，一个是故 事，一个是楼层)
31. what word is pronounced wrong, even by the best of scholars?
32. what animal is taller sitting down than standing up? 什么动物坐着比站着高? key: a dog答案：狗
33.which can move faster， heat or cold？ 冷和热谁跑得快？
key: heat， because you can catch cold．热跑得快，因为你追得上冷。 cold n．冷；感冒 catch cold追上冷；患感冒34. what can you catch but cannot throw? 什么东西你能抓住但是不能扔掉? key ：a cold 答案：感冒(catch a cold),英文中感冒为catch a cold
35. what is full when its used and empty when its at rest?
36. what has a tongue but cannot talk? 什么东西有舌头但是却不会说话?
key: a shoe答案：鞋
37. what has teeth but cannot eat? 什么东西有牙齿却不能吃东西?
key: keyhole 答案：锁眼
39. what weather do mice and rats fear? (老鼠害怕什么天气?)
答案：when its raining cats and dogs. (下大雨。rain cats and dogs 下大雨 )
40. when do dogs refuse to follow their masters? 狗什么时候不愿跟随主人?
答案：when their masters go to the flea market.(主人去跳蚤市场时。flea 跳蚤 flea market 旧货市场
42. 汽车会飞(猜一种饮料) 答案：咖啡 谜语解析(car 飞)
答案：it remains a white stone.(
what animal has a head like a cat, eyes like a cat, a tail like a cat, but isnt a cat? a kitten.(小猫)
what surprising things happen every 24 hours?day breaks, but doesnt fall; night falls, but doesnt break.
what can hear you without ears and can answer you without a mouth? an echo.(回声)
what do you know about the kings of france? they are all dead.
what question can you never answer yes to are you asleep?
why do some old people never use glasses? they must prefer bottles to glasses. you play with this ——(ball)
you eat with this ——(spoon)
you drink with this ——(straw)
you talk with this ——(mouth)
you look with his ——(glasses)
what man cannot live in a house? 什么人不能住在房子里?
what never asks questions but gets a lot of answers? 什么东西永远不问问题但是却能得到很多答案?
key： dictionary （字典）
a mouse has a large pocket． what is it? 一种鼠有一个大袋子，它是什么? key： a kangaroo（袋鼠）
you have it．you read it．therere some pictures in it? 你拥有它，你可以阅读它，它有些图片在里面，它是什么?
one story about jack，an irishman，who was not allowed into heaven because he was stingy with his money.
so he was sent to hell. but down there he played tricks on the devil （satan）， so he was kicked out of hell and made to walk the earth forever carrying a lantern. 但是在那里他老是捉弄魔鬼撒旦，所以被踢出地狱，罚他提着灯笼永远在人世里行走。 well，irish children made jacks lanterns on october 31st from a large potato or turnip， hollowedout with the sides having holes and lit by little candles inside.
and irish children would carry them as they went from house to house begging for food for the village halloween festival that honored the druid god muck olla. ]为村里庆祝督伊德神的万圣节，孩子们提着这种灯笼挨家挨户乞讨食物。
the irish name for these lanterns was jack with the lantern or jack of the lantern， abbreviated as jack-o-lantern and now spelled jack-o-lantern.the traditional halloween you can read about in most books was just childrens fun night.
halloween celebrations would start in october in every elementary school. 在小学校里，万圣节是每年十月份开始庆祝的。
an ox and a dog serve for the same farmer.
one day the dog arrogantly says: “how grand i am! in the daytime, i watch out for the cattle in the meadows; at night, i guard the house. but you?”
一天, 狗骄傲地说着；?我是多么重要啊！白天我在牧场看护家群，晚上我看家。而你呢?..?” “me? how about me?” the ox says
“you can only plough or draw a cart,” the dog slightly says.
“yes. it?s true,” the ox says. “but if i don?t plough, what do you guard?” “是的。你说得没有错，”牛回答道。“但是如果没有我犁地，你看护什么呢？” adding eyes to a dragon
mr. li is a good painter. one day he draws a beautiful dragon without eyes. 李先生是位很好的画家。一天画了一条栩栩如生的龙，但是这只龙没有眼睛。
mr. zhou looks at the picture and says, “the dragon has no eyes. it isn?t a good picture.” 周先生见了说：“这条龙没有眼睛。这不算一张好画。”
but mr. li smiles and says, “if i add eyes to the dragon, it will fly away.” 可是李先生笑着说：“如果我给它加上眼睛，它就会飞走了。”
mr. zhou shakes head and says, “you are boasting. i don?t believe you.”周先生摇头说：“你吹牛。我不相信。”
mr. li isn?t angry. he holds the paintbrush and adds eyes to the dragon. wow! the dragon really flies.
once there were three foxes, they worked together. they lived a happy life.
little by little, the youngest fox became lazy, and often quarreled with the other foxes. the eldest had to leave, and the second fox was driven off, too.
渐渐地，最小的狐狸变得又懒又坏，经常同其他的两只狐狸争吵，气走了它的大哥和二哥。 looking at the warm house with a lot of good food in it, the youngest fox smiled. 最小的狐狸得意地住在温暖的房子里享受着丰富的食品。
the eldest fox opened a new hill again. the second eldest fox dug a pool. two of them because rich soon. the youngest fox ate up the food left by the other two foxes. in the end， it felt so cold and hungry that it could not stand up.
the king and his stories
once there was a king. he likes to write stories, but his stories were not good. as people were afraid of him, they all said his stories were good.
从前有一个国王，他喜欢写故事，但是他写的故事很不好。人们怕他，都说他的故事好。 one day the king showed his stories to a famous writer. he waited the writer to praise these stories. but the writer said his stories were so bad that he should throw them into fire. the king got very angry with him and sent him to prison.
after some time, the king set him free. again he showed him some of his new stories and asked what he thought of them.
过了些日子，国王给了作家自由。国王重新将自己的一些新故事给作家看并问他感觉怎么样。 after reading them, the writer at once turned to the soldiers and said: “take me back to prison,please.”
the sports meeting in the forest
there are many animals in the forest. today is a fine day. animals are having a sport meeting. 森林里有很多动物。今天天气晴朗，小动物要举行运动会。
this sports meeting is wonderful. the animals are very happy!
a smart tortoise
a tiger is hungry, he is looking for food. he sees a frog in front of him. 一只老虎很饥饿，他正在寻找食物。他看到一只青蛙在他前面。
“haha! a frog! my dinner!” so he rushes at the frog.
behind the tiger, there is a tortoise. the little tortoise sees it; he bites the