4. 布置学生课后任务:完成A部分课后练习,预习听说教程第三单元内容 板书设计:
教学对象 Teaching Subjects non- English major sophomore
教学内容 Lesson Content New Horizon English 2 Unit 3
教学目标 Teaching Objectives
After studying this unit, the students are expected to be able to:
1. learn about some traditional ideas about marriage practiced by different cultures around the world.
2. understand the main idea and structure of Section A and Section B;
3. learn device for developing a paragraph which starts with a correction of one idea and goes on to present another idea.
4. master the key language points and grammatical structures in the text;
5. conduct a series of reading, listening, speaking and writing activities related to the theme of the unit
1. Explanation & Translation
2. Task-driving & communicative Method
3. The Audio-Visual Approach
教学用时 Time Allotment 8 periods
1st-2nd period: Leading-in & reading activities
3rd-4th period: Text analysis ( the key language points & structure ) 5th-6th period: Checking on students' learning tasks (Exercises in Section
A & reading activities of Section B )
7th-8th period: Listening practice
重点 Key Issues
1. Understanding and using the key words, phrases & expressions, patterns of Section A;
2. Understanding the main idea and structure of the text;
3. Mastering the device for developing a paragraph which starts with a correction of one idea and goes on to present another idea.
难点 Potential Problems and Difficulties
● using the vocabulary and sentence structures learnt to talk about personal views on intercultural marriages.
● Mastering the device for developing a paragraph which starts with a correction of one idea and goes on to present another idea.
教具 Teaching Aids
Language computerized repeater / tape player / multi-media equipments 教学过程设计 Teaching Procedure:
步骤1 Step 1 导入 Lead-in
I. Introductory remarks: ideas about marriage
Choosing a life-long partner can be one of the most challenging communication tasks for many people. Staying with that partner during sickness and health, in hard times and in good times, takes much skill and patience beyond the initial love that brings two people together. In this unit you will meet Gail and Mark who face the added problems that two different races bring to a marriage. You will observe how both cultures misunderstand each other's customs when you read about Rich's first meeting with his girlfriend's Chinese family. Finally, you will learn some traditional ideas about marriage practiced by different cultures around the world.
1)Guess the Real Meaning of Husband , Wife and Family
For example w-washing i- f- e-
(divide the students into 2 groups: girls and boys. Ask girls to think of the Real Meaning of Husband and Family while boys to think of the Real Meaning of Wife and Family. )
2) Give Ss some information about the mixed marriage in U.S.A
According to research conducted by Jenifer L. Bratter and Rosalind B. King on behalf of the Education Resources Information Center, Black male-White female and Asian male-White female marriages are more prone to divorce than White-White marriages. Conversely, marriages between White males and non-White females (and between Hispanics and non-Hispanic persons) have similar or lower risks of divorce than White-White marriages.
3) Oftentimes, couples in intercultural marriages face barriers that most married couples of the same culture are not exposed to. Intercultural marriages are often influenced by external factors that can create dissonance and disagreement in relationships.
( Introduce Ss to watch clip from the movie Pushing)
4) After watching the movie, Ss should discuss the topic: What benefits and differences may a couple from different cultures have in your opinion
(e.g.: in terms of language, food, family pressure, social pressure, moral idea, etc.)
5) Listening to a passage about the mixed marriage of Gail and Mark and answer the questions on page 52. And discussing the question: Would you mind marrying a person from a different culture or nation Why or why not
步骤 2 Step 2 课文学习 Section A Mixed Marriage
I. Idea catching
●How is the text organized
The text falls into three parts: the mixed marriage of Gail and Mark, the reaction of Gail's mother toward their wedding plans, and the response of Gail's father toward their wedding plans.
The text is a typical example of narration given in the first person. Through his narrative, the writer, a black man, tells the reader his mixed marriage and gives a vivid description of the attitudes of his girlfriend's parents toward a mixed marriage.
The narration goes hand in hand with argumentation. This can be seen clearly in the second part.
● Structure Analysis
Step IV. Text Structure Analysis
(Paras. 1-4) The mixed marriage of Gail and Mark
Device: Narration (叙事法): The story is told in the first person. Through his narrative, the writer, a black man, tells the reader his mixed marriage (Paras. 5-9) The reaction of Gail's mother to the marriage
Device: Argumentation (论证法): Typical example of argumentation by rejecting the first idea and presenting some other idea. (page 64-65) (Paras. 10-21) The response of Gail's father to the marriage
Device: Dialogue (对话法)
II. New Words
mutual trust /compromise / support / benefits / understanding / tolerance
2. overlook pretend not to notice
She overlooked his offensiveness and tried to pretend nothing had happened.
3. prejudice n. unreasonable dislike and distrust of people
- What kind of prejudice is common in the world
- Women have to face a great deal of prejudice in the workplace.
- Prejudice against black people is common in many parts of America.
4. confirm v. show that sth. is true
Everything you have just said confirms the view that nobody can be trusted.
5. hesitate v. pause before saying or doing sth.
- Is there anything in the world that you never hesitate to pay - I never hesitate to pay for (gift for my mother, CD, etc.)
6. proceed v. start to do sth., often after doing sth. else
The interview proceeded in a most friendly environment.
7. resolve v. find a solution ( to a problem, crisis, etc.)
They hoped the crisis could be resolved peacefully.
(Let Ss listen to the new words in the CD-rom and read them loudly) Assignments: 1) Reading aloud and reciting: new words, phrases & expressions of section A,Para. 4 of section A; 2) Doing exercises of Section A;
III. Detailed study of the text
● Language points:
1) Gail and I imagined a quiet wedding.(Para. 1)
Meaning: Gail and I planned to have (or: thought about having) a wedding without many people or without much activity.
imagine: vt. (here) plan to have, think about having…
We imagine a quiet holiday at home for this summer after a busy year.忙碌了一年,我们打算今年夏天在家过个安静的假期.
If "imagine" is followed directly by a verb or a "non+verb" structure, the verb should be in the –ing form.
Eg. It's hard to imagine living in a place where there are no telephones or cars.
I can't imagine George being unfair to anyone.
2) … the usual ups and downs of a couple…(Para. 1)
ups and downs: a mix of good experiences and bad experiences
Life is full of ups and downs. 人生充满了欢乐与痛苦.
He has seen the ups and downs in the history of the relations between the two countries. 他经历了两国关系史上的圆缺阴晴.
3)But through it all we had honestly confronted the weaknesses and strengths of each other's characters. (Para.1)
Meaning: But in experiencing all the ups and downs we had honestly faced and tried to deal with the weak sides and good sides of each other's characters.
through: prep. From the beginning to the end of
I have read halfway through the article but found it uninteresting. 这篇文章我已看了一半,可是觉得它枯燥乏味.
4) …had honestly confronted the weaknesses and strengths of each other's characters.
Weaknesses and strengths: weak points and strong points
It's important to know your own weaknesses and strengths.
Character: n. all the qualities that make a person or place different from other people or places
He has a strong but gentle character. 他的性格坚强而温柔.
The twins look the same but have very different characters.
5) …and being open with each other. (para. 2)
Open: a. willing to talk honestly, frank
Let's be open with each other. 让我们彼此开诚布公吧.
He is a very frank and open person. 他是个很坦诚的人.
6) Gail and I had no illusions about what the future held for us as a married, mixed couple in America. (Para. 3)
Hold: vt. Own, be able to contain or offer. "Hold" in this sense can also be used figuratively.
He holds a half share in the business. 他在这个企业中拥有一半的股份. Life holds many surprises for us. (喻)人生中有许多意想不到的事情. married: a. If you are married, you have a husband or wife.
Her married life was exceptionally happy. 她的婚后生活十分幸福. a married woman 一位已婚妇女
mixed couple: a couple of different races
7) …they overlooked serious personality conflicts in the expectation that marriage was an automatic way to make everything work out right. (Para. 4) Meaning: They ignored serious personality conflicts. They hoped that everything would go right automatically when they lived their married life. overlook: vt.
i) fail to notice or realize how important sth. is, miss
You have overlooked several of the mistakes in this work.
The secretary is very careful and never overlooks any little points. 秘书是个很细心的人,从不放过任何细小问题.
ii) pretend not to notice; forgive
We'll ovelook your bad behavior this time, but don't do it again. 这一次我们不计较你的错误行为,但是切勿再犯了.
iii) have or give a view of (a place) from above
Her bedroom has large windows overlooking a lake.
8) …to make everything work out right. (Para.4)
i) have as a result, turn out, happen or progress in a certain way In this sense, the verb phrase is intransitive.
How the situation will eventually work out only time can tell.
ii) find by reasoning or figuring
In this sense, the verb phrase is transitive.
Have you work out the answer 你已经得出了答案来了没有
9) That point was emphasized by the fact that Gail's parents, after thirty-five years of marriage, were going through a bitter and painful divorce,..(Para.4)
Meaning: That point was made particularly true when Gail's parents, after thirty-five years of marriage, were experiencing a bitter and painful divorce.
go through: experience
The country has gone through too many wars. 这个国家经历了太多的战争. go through hardships 历尽千辛万苦
10) Her mother, Deborah, all along had been supportive of our relationship…(Para. 5)
Meaning: When Deborah heard our plans, she did not express her congratulations but advised Gail to be really sure that that was the marriage she did want.
congratulations: n. (pl.) If you offer someone your congratulations, you congratulate them on something nice that has happened to them or something admirable that they have done.
To offer one's congratulations on her success 对她的成功表示祝贺 Congratulations on your marriage!恭喜你们喜结良缘!
upon: prep.(the same as "on") immediately after, directly after (and often as a result of)
Upon(or: On) hearing the news, she burst into tears.
11) …I harbored reservations about a mixed marriage, prejudices you might even call them.(Para. 7)
Meaning: I had doubts whether a marriage between a white and a black would work out well, which you might even call prejudices.
harbor: vt. have (feelings, thoughts, images etc.) in one's mind over a long period of time
He harbors a secret hatred against his father. 他对他的父亲暗怀憎恨.
12) We've seen each other at our worst many times. (Para. 8)
Meaning: We have had many times when we behaved as unpleasantly as possible towards each other.
at one's worst: when one is behaving as unpleasantly as possible
This was his mother at her worst: her voice was sharp and loud, and she was to be angry at anyone.
13) Why the haste
Meaning: Why do you want to get married in such a hurry
This is an elliptical question(省略式问句).Another example in this reading passage is: Then why the rush (Para. 12) 干吗匆匆忙忙的
In why-questions we often have ellipsis(省略).More examples:
Why bother waiting any longer (= Why should we bother waiting any longer ) 为什么我们还得费功夫等下去呢
Why not 干吗不
◆ Patterns for using as model
1. 1. Typical patterns for showing the changes of one's mind
原句:To start with I must admit that at first I harbored reservations about a mixed marriage,…. But when I met Mark, I found him a charming and intelligent young guy. (L. 28) 首先我必须承认,刚开始我对异族通婚是有保留的,?但当我见到马克时,我发现他是一个既讨人喜欢又聪明的年轻人.
To start with, sb. admits ( feels / believes) that at first ( at the beginning)… But when (as)…, he / she found (realized) that…
To start with I must admit that at the beginning her looks left little impression on me. But as we made more contacts with each other, I found her gentle, virtuous, and good at reading my mind.
应用: b. 他首先承认当初他对此事想得太简单,觉得不用费多大力.但当他着手做此事时, 他突然意识到,凡事想做好都不容易.
To start with he admits that at first he took the matter for granted, assuming it is unnecessary for him to make much effort. But when he set about doing it, he came to a sudden awareness that nothing is so easy if one wants to do it better.
2. Typical patterns for showing one's disapproval of doing sth.
原句:If we had to resolve all doubt before we acted, very little would ever get done. (L. 63)
If sb. has to do sth. before sb. does what he wants to do, little (nothing) would…
应用: a. 诚然, 谨慎的确重要.但如果在采取行动之前我们总得瞻前顾后, 那么什么事情也做不成.
Admittedly, being cautious really matters. But if we always have to look ahead and behind before we take actions, nothing could be achieved. 应用: b. 假如我们在实施一项计划之前必须征得每个人的支持, 那么很多机会就会白白丧失, 从而一事无成.
If we have to get everyone's approval of a plan before we put it into effect, many opportunities would be wasted, thus leaving little to be done.
3. Typical patterns for expressing one's reservations about sth.
原句: You may be right. But I still think that waiting won't hurt. (L.41) 你也许是对的.但我还是认为再等一段时间有好处.
Sb. (Sth.) else may be right (correct / reasonable / true). But sb. still
thinks (believes / considers / feels / takes the view) that…
应用: a. 发展当地经济是正确的.但我仍然认为以牺牲环境为代价来发展经济无异于杀鸡取卵.
Developing local economy is correct. But I still believe developing the economy at the expense of the environment is no different from killing the goose to get its golden egg.
应用: b. 他关于成功的定义也许是对的.但我仍然认为一个成功的人是执着追求自己梦想的人.重要的是过程,而非结果.
His definition of success may be right. But I still think a successful person is one who persists in pursuing his dream. It's the process, not the result, that counts.
Assignments: 3) writing: Choose one of the topics given to write a paragraph, which starts with a correction of one idea and goes on to present another idea; 4) Preview: Section B.
自我评价问题Questions for Self-evaluation:
Do I understand the text and fully master the useful words and expressions Have I learned some traditional ideas about marriage practiced by different cultures around the world
Have I mastered the devices of developing a paragraph which starts with a correction of one idea and goes on to present another idea
4. Have I conducted a series of listening, speaking, reading and writing activities assigned by the teacher and done it well
教材与教学资源Resources and Materials:
New Horizon English 2 --- Reading and Writing
New Horizon English 2 --- Listening and Speaking
New Horizon English 2 --- Reading and Writing (Teacher's book)
New Horizon English 2 --- Listening and Speaking (Teacher's book) New Horizon English 2--- Speed Reading
Online Resources about New Horizon English
Oxford Advanced Learner's English Chinese Dictionary
Macmillan English Chinese Dictionary
A Dictionary of English Collocations
A Chinese English Dictionary