Unit 1 School Life
21. The new game can be downloaded ________ from the Food Force website, www.foodforce.com.
A. free B. for free C. spare D. for spare
22. _____ the whole school safer and more pleasant is an important part of school development.
A. Make B. Made C. Making D. Makes
23. If you waste your time on these video games, you won’t get enough grades to _____ a good university.
A. take B. join C. go D. attend
24. Could you please tell me the way ______ a notice about a school activity?
A. writing B. write C. to write D. written
25. My parents want me to take _____ maths lessons at the weekend, but I want to relax and have fun.
A. extra B. average C. former D. scary
26. A play is quite different _______ an article in a magazine or a newspaper.
A. in B. from C. on D. at
27. The new driving test is more _______ and so fewer people pass it.
A. challenging B. average C. expensive D. important
28. This is one of the most interesting books ________I have ________ read.
A. that; never B. which; never C. that; ever D. which; ever
29. Be serious about your aims in life and work hard to _____ those aims. This will ______ your mother.
A. receive; proud B. prepare; respect
C. develop; regret D. achieve; please
30. Tom failed in the exams again. He has never ________ his examinations.
A. make enough preparations B. made enough preparation for
C. made enough preparations for D. make enough preparation for
31. Mary seems to have ______ most of her friends. She felt very lonely.
A. dropped B. respected C. informed D. pleased
32. Look at your room! It requires _________.
A. to clean B. cleaning C. cleaned D. be cleaned
33. Lu xun, ____was zhou Shuren, wrote many famous novels and essays.
A. the real name B. what his real name
C. whose real name D. his real name
34. – It was right to tell the teacher the truth.
– But I regret ________ that. It hurt my best friend.
A. to do B. doing C. done D. do
35. You have done a good job in the competition. But you’d better __________ your body language.
A. to pay attention to B. pay attentions to
C. to pay attentions to D. pay attention to
Last night I was driving from Harrisburg to Lewisburg, a distance of about eighty miles.
It was late. I was 36 and if anyone asked me how fast I was driving, I’d have to beg the Fifth Amendment (美国宪法的第五条修正案) to avoid (避免) self-incrimination (自证有罪).
Several times I got caught 37 a slow-moving truck on a 38 road with a solid（不可超越的）white line on my left，and I was clinching（握紧）my fists（拳头）with impatience.
At one point along an open highway, I came to a crossroads with a 39 . I was 40 on the road by now, but as I came close to the light, it turned 41 and I stopped.
I looked left, right and behind me. 42 . Not a car, no suggestion of headlights, 43 there I sat， 44 the light to change，the only human being for at least a mile in 45 direction（方向）.
I started wondering why I 46 to run the light. I was not 47 of being arrested（逮捕）because there was obviously (显然地) no policeman around，and there certainly would have been no 48 in going through it.
Much later that night, 49 I’d met with a group in Lewisburg and had climbed into bed near midnight，the question of 50 I’d stopped for that light 51 to me.
I think I stopped 52 it’s part of a contract（约定）we all have with each other. It’s not only the law， 53 it’s an arrangement（协议）we have，and we trust each other to honor it：we don’t 54 red lights.
Like most of us, I’m more likely to be stopped from doing something 55 by the social rules that disapprove of it than by any law against it.
I was so proud of myself for stopping for the red light that night.
36. A. early B. late C. sad D. happy
37. A. behind B. before C. next to D. near
38. A. wide B. flat C. rough D. narrow
39. A. gas station B. policeman C. traffic light D. driver
40. A. lonely B. alone C. single D. only
41. A. out B. green C. red D. yellow
42. A. No B. None C. neither D. Nothing
43. A. but B. and C. so D. however
44. A. waited for B. waiting for C. to wait for D. wait for
45. A. some B. all C. any D. both
46. A. managed B. refused C. failed D. tried
47. A. afraid B. sure C. certain D. careful
48. A. chance B. time C. way D. danger
49. A. after B. before C. when D. since
50. A. when B. how C. where D. why
51. A. brought back B. called back C. came back D. returned back
52. A. because B. since C. as D. for
53. A. also B. and C. so D. but
54. A. go away B. go through C. go off D. go over
55. A. good B. lucky C. important D. bad
What would you&nb