主备：刘友霞 审核：刘 平
Ⅰ.Grasp the following words, phrases and sentences.
1).重点单词：motivation, dictation, acquisition, correction, translator, interpreter, patience, pile, association, stick, acquire, instruct, adopt, face, awful, academic, anxious, secure, junior, senior, appropriate
2).重点短语：make progress, make sense of, in other words, take risks / a risk, experiment with, piles of, put an end to, knock down, fall behind
1. Reading something in English, I always get stuck when I come across a new word. There must be a better way to learn new words. P65
2. I have been studying English for so long now, and I don’t enjoy it any more. P65
3. I wish there was something I could do to make me interested in studying English again. P65…
4. Learning a language is obviously more than just memorizing words, phrases and structures. P66
5. We actually learn a foreign language much faster than we do our mother tongue. P67
6. The data suggests that what successful language learners have in common is, ... P67
7. The less anxious and more relaxed the learner, the better their language acquisition. P67
8. One year is not enough ... to broaden you horizons and improve your understanding of the world. P71
Ｉ.概念: 虚拟语气是动词的一种特殊形式， 用来表达说话人的愿望，意图，建议，惊奇，设想等未能实现以及在说话人看来实现可能性很小的情况。
１．非真实条件句 2．“should”类 3．“过去时及过去完成时态”类
PeriodⅠ Word Study
1. stick (stuck stuck )
Vt. (1)（常与in, into, through连用）（把尖 物）插入，刺入，戳入
I stuck a needle into the cloth. 我把一根针扎进布里。
(2)（与in, into, on连用）粘住；贴住
I stuck a stamp on the letter. 我把一张邮票贴在信上。
The bus _____________________ the mud. 公共汽车陷在泥里了。
Stick the chair in the corner. 将椅子置于墙角。
Don’t stick your head out of the train window. 不要把头伸出火车窗外面。
vi. 1.) 粘住;钉住
This stamp won’t stick. 这张邮票贴不上。
A fish-bone stuck in his throat. 他喉咙里卡了一根鱼刺
n. (c.) (1)柴枝，小树枝
We made the fire out of dry sticks. 我们用干柴枝来生火。
The old man walked leaning on a stick. 老人拄着拐杖走路。
stick to a post 坚守岗位 stick to one’s words 遵守诺言 stick to principles 坚守原则
stick out 伸出，突出 stick down 贴好；放下；写下 stick at 坚持/努力干某事； 让…阻碍自己
be stuck (over/with sth.) 遇到困难无法进行下去
eg. (1) No matter what you say, I shall ______my opinion.
A. carry out B. keep up C. insist on D. stick to
(2) The spokesman said his country would _____ experimenting with nuclear weapon tests.
A. stick to B. insist on C. work out D. stick on
(3). Don’t _____ your hands out of the window.
A. stick to B. stick C. pull D. put
2.in other words 换句话说，换言之 通常作插入语或状语，相当于that’s is to say
eg: (1)Bob will never see you again, in other words he has been dead.
(2) Your performance in the driving test didn’t reach the required standard-______ you failed.
A. in the end B. after all C. in other words D. at the same time
(3) They won’t be back before 5 o’clock. _____, you will have to wait for nearly three hours.
A. On the other hand B. On the contrary C. In a word D. In other words
have a word with sb.与某人说句话 in a word 总之 leave word 留言 put/get in a word 插嘴 have words with sb.与某人吵架 word for word 逐字地 keep one’s word 守信用 break one’s word 失信 the last words 遗言 waste(spend) one’s words 白费口舌 in words 用言语 in word 口头上word came that…有信来，有话传来 weigh one’s words 斟酌字句 beyond words 无法用言语形容 words fail…说不出话来，无法形容（多么不高兴，吃惊，震惊）
1. It is no use to promise______________, but in deed.
2．I soon found that the work I was doing was being done by someone else._____________, I was wasting my time.
3．Words______ me when I wanted to express my thanks to him for having saved my son from the burning house.
A. failed B. left C. discouraged D. disappointed
4. For a long time they walked without saying____ word. Jim was the first to break _____ silence.
A. the; a B. a. the C. a, / D. the;/
5. People may have different opinions about Karen, but I admire her. ______, she is a great musician.
A. After all B. As a result C. In other word D. As usual
3. adopt vt. 采取，采纳;收养;通过 n. adoption
eg. (1) I adopted their method of making the machine.我采纳了他们制造机器的方法。
(2) They proposed to adopt me as their own son. 他们建议收养我为他们的儿子。
(3) The board adopted the proposal after much debate.
（4）It is suggested that a hard line ______ towards terrorists.
A. adopts B. will be adopted C. be adopted D. is adopted
养子女 adopted son/ daughter 养父母 adoptive parents/adopted father /adoptive mother 挑选某人作为adopt sb. as
4. knock down 击倒，撞倒
knock at 敲 knock about 旅行，到处跑；（狠）打，用（拳头）抽 knock against 撞击knock down 拆除，拆掉；打倒，撞倒；把（价钱）压低，使减价；（以低价）拍卖掉，压低（价格） knock off 下班，停止工作；减价，扣掉；匆忙做完 knock over 打翻 knock into 撞到…上
eg. (1) He was reading a magazine while walking. He almost _____.
A. knocked me down B. knocked down me C. turned me over. D. turned me over
(2) A child was in hospital last night after being _____ by a car.
A. put down B. torn down C. knocked down D. set down
(3) You have _________________ my drink. 你把我的饮料撞翻了。
(4) The pickpocket ____________________ me on purpose.那个扒手故意撞我。
(5) He has _______________________ all over Europe.他已经游遍了整个欧洲。
(6) We ________________________ at 12.30 for lunch. 我们在12.30停下来吃饭.
(7) He _______________________ a poem in five minutes. 他在五分钟之内写完一首诗。
(8) They are going to ____________________________ those old buildings soon.
5. fall behind 落后于；拖欠
eg. The illness caused him to fall behind the rest of the class.
Make sure not to fall behind with your rent, please. 请不要拖欠房租。
fall into the habit of 养成…的习惯 fall over 滑倒，摔倒 fall to sb.to do sth.轮到某人做某事，应由某人做某事 fall ill 生病 fall asleep 入睡 fall in love with sb. 爱上某人 fall short (of) 不足，缺乏；达不到，不符合 fall off 下降，跌落
motivation n. → motivate vt
correction n. → correct vt. / adj.
effective adj. → effect n→ efficient adj
instruct vt. → instruction n. → instructive adj.
patience n. → patient adj. / n.
association n. → associate adj. / vi.
acquire vt. → acquisition n.
awful adj. → awe n. / v.
broaden vt. ← broad adj.
widen vt. ← wide adj.
deepen vt. ← deep adj.
sharpen vt. ← sharp adj.
awaken vt. ← awake adj.
Period Ⅱ Reading
Teaching aims and demands:
1. To improve the Ss’ reading skill
2. To learn some knowledge about learning a foreign language
Tick out the ways you learn English & tell reasons
1 ( )memorize the words.
2 ( ) learn grammar rules
3 ( ) talk with your classmate
4 ( )have a dictation
5 ( )listen to the tape
6 ( ) learn English songs
7 ( ) watch English films
8 ( ) talk to foreigner
9 ( )reading stories
10 ( ) practise writing English
Step 2 Fast reading
1. Most children have mastered their mother tongue .
A. at the age of five B. by the age of eight
C. before they are five D. since they were five2. Successful language learners do share the following characteristics except .
A. the ability to memorize the words B. an interest in understanding their own thinking
C. willingness to take chances D. confidence in their ability
3. The sentence “Life is a very successful language school” means .
A. we are equipped with a special ability to learn language
B. the key to learn the language well is to communicate with the people around us
C. parents can give children language lessons
D. people can learn the language by themselves
4. What’s the purpose of writing this article?
A. Learning a foreign language is twice as hard as learning our mother tongue.
B. Learning a foreign language is more important than learning our mother tongue.
C. Learning a foreign language is twice as easy if we develop our study skills.
D. In fact, the number of people learning a foreign language has increased with years.
Step3 Careful reading
1. What are the differences between learning the first and second language?2. What makes you a successful learner?
We learn our mother tongue by _____________with people around. But how were we able to __________________what we heard and _________________ the mistakes and errors __________________“good” language?
Some experts believe that we are ____________________ a special ability to learn language and that our brain __________________the language we hear around us. Others think that we learn language ____________________ we learn other things.
Learning a foreign language is __________________ learning one’s mother tongue. Research has shown that successful language learners do ___________ a few___________________. Successful language students gain _______________ and are able to _______________ and _____________ the learning because they _______________ and _________________ their learning . And they’re more willing to _________________ and to ________________themselves in new learning situations. If we want to be successful language learners, we should try to ________________ some of the study habits ___________________ above. If we ______________ our study skills, we may find that learning a foreign language does not have to _________________________ learning our mother tongue.
Step 5 Learning the following points
1. Learning a language is obviously more than just memorizing words, phrases and structures.
more than :超过；极其，不至于是；与其说…到不如说;不仅仅; more than sb. can 非某人力所能及的 no more than 和…一样不;不过,仅仅 not more than 至多，不超过；…并不比…更…
more or less 或多或少，在一定程度上；大体上，大约 once more 再一次 what’s more 更有甚者 more often than not 在大半情况下，相当多时候 more of 在更大程度上
eg. 1. She is more of a singer than a dancer.
2.It was more than a year now since he had seen Miss Wilkinson.
3. Ben is a fairly good runner. He wins more often than not.
4. He is more mad than stupid.
5. They are more than glad to help.
6. I love you more than I can say.
7. Jack is no more diligent than John.
8. Jack is not more diligent than John.
2. The less anxious and more relaxed the learner, the better their language acquisition.
the +比较级，the +比较级 是形容词（副词）比较级的一种用法。前面的句子相当于一个条件句，后面是主句。
1). 地势越高，空气越凉。 __________________________________________________.
2). 越仔细，错误越少。 __________________________________________________.
3). 旅馆越贵，服务就越好。 __________________ the hotel is, _____________ the service is.
4). _______ you stand, ______ you will see.
A. The higher, the farther B. The farther. the higher
C. Higher, farther D. Farther, higher
5) It is believed that ____ you work,_____ result you will get.
A. the harder, the better B. the more hard, the more better
C. the harder, a better D. more hard, more better
3…both of which contribute to their increased ability to learn.
contribute v. 捐款，贡献，有助于促成…（与to 连用）,投稿
eg. All this contributed to our success. 这一切促成了我们获得成功。
Drink contributed to his ruin. 饮酒促成了他的毁灭。
Contribute a poem to a newspaper 向报社投稿
n. contribution make a contribution (to) (为…)做贡献
eg.（1） Charlie Chaplin made a great contribution to the cinema.
（2）Millions of people made contributions to the liberation of the People’s Republic of China.
(3).I think whoever makes greater _____ the company than others should set ___ income.
A. contribution for; higher B. contributions for; highest
C. contribution to; the higher D. contributions to, the highest
4. Not all of us want to be translators or interpreters.
当not 与all , both, each, every , always 以及every 的复合词连用，都表示不完全否定，“并非都…,并非总是…，并不是每个都…”(not可放在主语部分也可放在谓语部分)
Not all the people go in for sports.= All the people don’t go in for sports.
(2)这两部小说我不是都喜欢。 I don’t like both of the novels.
完全否定：如句中有否定词no, none, no one, neither, never, nobody, nothing…表示都不
eg. (1) 他父母都不在国外。 Neither his parents is abroad.
(2)他们没有一个能回答这个问题。 None of them can answer the question.
(3)I agreed with most of what you said, but I don’t agree with_____.
A. everything B. nothing C. something D. anything
(4)--- Is the book interesting?
--- Yes, but I am sure it won’t interest______.
A. everybody B. somebody C. anybody D. nobody
Period III Integrating skills
Teaching aims and demands:
1. To improve the students’ abilities of reading and comprehension.
2. To learn some language points.
Step1: Find the key words of each paragraph
Para 1 _________________ to learn a foreign language
Para 2 _________________ to go abroad
1) exchange programmes
2) programmes offering a “home stay” service
Para 3 _________________ about learning a foreign language abroad
Para 4 _________________ about learning abroad
Para 5 _________________ if you want to go abroad to study
Step2: Careful reading
1.The best option(=choice) for the exchange students is .
A. living with local people
B. living in the dormitory
C. choosing exchange programmes at various academic levels at a reasonable cost
D. making friends with the other students
2.Visiting students do the following things except .
A. staying in the host family’s house B. eating in the host family’s house
C. becoming a member of the family D. keeping in touch with the host family afterwards
3.What makes it easier to study abroad nowadays? _______
A. The cost has become reasonable.
B. There are programmes for all levels.
C. Students can find “home-stay” service and live with the host family.
D. All the above
4.The greatest value of an exchange student studying abroad is ______ .
A. to learn the language
B. to widen one’s views and understand the culture of other country
C. to get better idea of yourself and your own culture
D. to learn to be independent of oneself
5.The disadvantage of studying abroad is_____.
A. language and culture B. cost and safety
C. custom and culture D. exchange programme
6..Before going out to study in a foreign country, you should not .
A. care much about the money that may cost you
B. collect as much information as possible
C. plan a long course to study
D. discuss every detail with your family
Step3 Language Points
Most exchange students say that they feel as if they were truly part of their host families and that they will always stay in touch.
as if (1) 当as if 用在look, smell, taste, sound 等后面，议论可能或真实的事或情形时，as if 也可用陈述语气。
1). 看起来天好像要下雨。It looks as if it is going to rain.
2). 听起来像有人敲门。 It sounds as if someone is knocking at the door.
(2)as if=(as though)“像.好像，似乎”，只作连词，引导状语从句，通常用虚拟语气，表示与事实相反的情况。如表示与现在事实相反，动词用一般过去时，be动词用were，口语中也可以用was.如表示与过去事实相反，用过去完成时。
1). 看起来你好像见过鬼似的。 You look as though you had seen a ghost.
2). 他看起来好像已经知道这个答案似的。 He looked as if he had known the answer.
(3 ) as if 后面可直接跟分词或不定式。
1）他张开口，像要说话一样。 He opened his mouth as if to speak.
He stared at the girl as if seeing her for the first time.
1. at a reasonable cost费用合理.
2. make progress 前进；进步
3.make sense of 弄懂…的意思
4.in other words 换句话说；换言之
5.take risks/a risk 冒险
6.experiment with 进行试验；进行实验
7.piles of 一大堆；一大批；一大团
8.knock down 击倒；撞倒
9.that is to say 也就是说
10.fall behind 落后
11.be different from 与…不同
12.communicate with 与…联系；与…交流
14.adjust oneself to
15.in the process
16.in common （团体）共同的；公有的
17.make mistakes 犯错误
18.make friends with 与…交朋友
19.take (an active ) part in （积极）参加
20.take patience to 有耐心去做….
21．stay in touch保持联系
22．become fluent in流利
23．broaden one’s horizons开阔眼界
24．be concerned about担心
26. give lessons to 给某人上课
27.come across 遇见
28.get stuck 被卡住了，被困住了
29.be equipped with 装备有
30.regardless of 不管，不顾
31.master the basics 掌握最基本的
32.be born with 与生具有的
33.as a consequence 结果是
34.all day long 一整天
35.an awful lot of hours 很多小时
36.in a few years’ time 在以后的一些年中
37.be curious about 对…好奇
38.be willing to take chances 愿意冒险
39.be confident in 在某方面很自信
40.be better at 更擅长于
41.put …to better use更好地运用…
42.place themselves in new learning situations 把自己放到新的学习环境中去
43.improve your understanding of the world 增进对世界的了解
44.for the first time/ the first time clause 第一次
1．What would have happened __________?
A. if Bob has walked farther B. if Bob should walk farther
C. had Bob walked farther D. if Bob walked farther
2. You didn’t let me drive. If we ______ in turn, you________ so tired.
A. drove; didn’t get B. drove; wouldn’t get
C. were driving; wouldn’t get D. had driven; wouldn’t have got
3. It is surprising that he ___________ at the meeting.
A. was B. be C. is D. were
4. -- Li Ping and I are going to Shanghai this week.
-- If ________ my job, I’d come with you.
A. there weren’t B. there weren’t for
C. it weren’t D. it weren’t for
5. -- How do you like the books?
-- Oh, they are wonderful. People here think ________ of the books.
A. a number B. a great many C. a great deal D. a plenty
6. -- Li Lin is very bright and studies hard as well.
-- It’s no _______ he always gets the first place in any examination.
A. question B. doubt C. problem D. wonder
7. Being able to speak another language fluently is a great ______ when you’re looking for a job.
A. chance B. importance C. assistant D. advantage
8. I planned __________ to see you last week, but I was ill.
A. to have come B. to come C. to be coming D. to have been coming
9. ____________ all the inventions have in common is _________they have succeeded.
A. What; what B. that; what C. what; that D. that; that
10. Last term our maths teacher set so difficult examination problems _________ none of us worked out.
A. that B. as C. so that D. which
11. --Has Tommy finished his homework?
--I have no idea. He _________it this morning.
A. was doing B. had been doing C. has done D. did
12. If you keep on, you’ll succeed _________. Wish you success in the examinations.
A. in time B. at one time C. for the same time D. sometimes
13. Betty’s English is ______ than ________ in the class.
A. much better; anyone else B. far better; anyone else’s
C. a lot better; anyone’s else D. a great deal better; anyone’s else’s
14. You’d better make a mark _________ you have any questions.
A. at which B. at what C. the place D. where
15. My command of Chinese is not _______ yours.
A. as half as B. so half good as C. good as half as D. half so good as
1. He s__________ his fork into a piece of meat.
2. She a___________ a knowledge of France.
3. What an _________(可怕的) smell!
4. The teacher ____________(指示) the pupils to come into the gym.
5. Feed the ____________ (资料) into the computer and have it analyzed.
6. She is still absent. I’m a___________ about her health.
7. His success is ____________(有把握的)。
8. To succeed in business one must be prepared to take ___________（冒险）.
9. He is s__________ to me by two years.
10. Which dress is more a___________ for the party, this one or that?
All birds have wings, but ________ _________ birds can fly.
The work is progressing _________ rapidly than _________.
__________ you talk to him, you’ll know he is a good person.
Consider carefully ________ you decide.
Are you ____________ that he should be ________ into our club?