模块五 Unit 3 (Man versus Nature)
Period 1 Reading
1. To help students kwon more about cloning technology
2. To encourage students to participate in the discussion relevant to cloning
3.To reinforce students’ comprehension of the text and improve their other
skills by participating in all the activities.
4.To enable students to master the reading strategy and become more
competent in reading articles related to science.
1. Students can work out the meaning of difficult or unfamiliar
scientific terms with reading strategy.
2. Students can hold their own opinions on the base of reading the article.
Step1 Lead- in
Encourage students to share their sources relevant to cloning
technology with the whole class.
Step2 Reading strategy
Get students to go through the reading strategy, and make sure
that everyone of them understands how to work out the meaning of these
Step3 First reading-Main idea
Ask students to refer to the reading passage and find out the main idea.
Step4 Second reading-Understanding scientific terms
Ask students to circle the unfamiliar words or things they do not
understand while second reading.
Step5 Third reading-Detailed information
Ask students to read only the article carefully, and finish the following
1. What are the different attitudes towards cloning a human embryo?
2. Who are the persons in the article related to cloning? What are their
opinions on cloning human beings?
Ask students to read the two letters carefully, and identify the readers’
Step6 Further discussion
Understanding the scientific terms and reinforcing the comprehension
of the text, students are got to form groups of four or six to discuss the further
1. Find the reasons why people are pro- or anti-cloning in the article
and letters and write them in the table on page 44.
2. Do you think it would be easy for the cloned baby to accept his
or her social identity as a ‘cloned’ human being?
Read the two articles and answer the questions on page 110~111.
Exercises for students:
The announcement by the scientist _______________________________
shocked the whole world.
If I __________________, I _____________________ so that I _________
with her again.
If I ___________________, I ___________________________his licence.
I _______________ the lady _______________________________ a baby.
Student: Is it true that the first human embryo have been s________ cloned.
Scientist: It’s true.
Student: What do you think of it?
Scientist: I think it can produce v_______ tissues and organs that could be used
to save human lives. However, some scientists think d________.
They believe cloning human embryos may i_______ with nature
and be on the way to p_______ a real-life monster.
Student: Well, would you please e_______ cloning in details to us?
Scientist: Yes. Cloning is producing an exact copy of a plant or an animal using
its cells. You are very familiar with the cloned sheep Dolly.
In g______, the wonderful scientific b_______ was praised.
Student: Can you give us more examples about the uses of cloning humans?
Scientist: Well, some woman cannot have a baby and is d________ to have a
child of her own. She doesn’t want to a______ one. What can she
do? Cloning gives her the chance.
Student: Is cloning human embryos i_______ in all countries?
Scientist: No. In some countries, scientists are p______ ahead with research so
as to d_______ a cloned human baby.
Student: OK. Thank you. I will search on the Internet for f_______ information.
1. _______(walk) on the street, I came across an old friend and stopped _______
(talk) with him.
2. The boy turned down his head, ________(admit) that the window was ______
(break) by him.
3. _______(have) a drink of coffee, he continued his endless talk.
4. _______(bore) of the speech, the audience left the hall one by one.
5. With autumn _______(come) near, the ground begins to be covered with
6. ________(inform) that the sports meeting would be put off, the students felt
7. If _______(heat) to a certain temperature, water will boil.
8. He was regretful to make himself ________(teach) by such a strict teacher.
9. ________(save) his pocket money, he decided to skip his breakfast on the way
10. ________(save) his pocket money, he was able to buy his desirable books.
11. ________(suffer) from a bad illness, she looked very skinny to be blown
down by the wind.
12. An _______(excite) look came to his face when he saw his _______(excite)
13. ______(see) from the mountain, the city looked very beautiful.
14. ______(see) the city from the mountain, you will feel ______(relax) and
15. The teacher was absorbed in telling stories, ________(surround) by a group
16. He raised his hand high, ______(fear) that he can’t make himself ________
17. Strongly _______(resist), the plan wasn’t passed at the meeting.
18. With plenty of work _______(do), he had no time to attend his friend’s party.
19. With all the work _______(do), he was delighted to attend his friend’s party.
Recording after teaching: