1. make forecasts about future developments 预测未来
2. catch a glimpse of the future窥视未来
3. keep in touch with sb 与某人保持联系
4. with a better understanding of the human body随着对人体的深入了解
5. in store贮藏着，准备着
6. deal with new diseases
7. be well-prepared for 为。。。做好充分准备
8. search a crowded store for basic goods 到拥挤的商店去寻找基本必需品
9. combine shopping with fun 将购物与娱乐结合起来
10.develop new fuels 开发新能源
11.pay more attention to the importance of a healthy diet 更重视健康饮食的重要性
1. One way to catch a glimpse of the future is to examine some of the major trends in contemporary society.
2. The schools of the future will probably be quite different from what they are today.
3. Distance education will help people study whenever they have time and whenever they may be.
4. Instead of being students only when we are young, we will become lifelong learners.
5. It is certain that things will change.
1. on the contrary 正相反
2. for the moment 暂时，目前
3. be infected with HIV 感染HIV /be immune to HIV 对HIV有免疫力
4. because of a lack of proper health care, prevention and education
5. discourage sb from doing 劝某人打消做某事的念头，阻止某人做某事
1. cheer up （使）感到振奋，感到高兴
2. take every chance/ a chance/chances 冒险，碰运气，投机
3. break down the body’s immune system 破坏免疫系统
4. persuade sb to do sth 说服某人做某事
5. try to /advise sb to do sth 劝说某人做某事
6. (be) free from 无。。。的，免于。。，免除。。，摆脱
7. leave a person defenceless against infections and illnesses 使一人对感染和疾病无抵抗能力
1. I wish that she were here with me and that we weren’t sick.
2. The drugs that are available are much too expensive.
3. I wish people would find out the facts, and not act as if I were a bad or dangerous person.
4. If I were to live long enough to have a job, I would choose to be a doctor, helping these AIDS patients.
5. Living with cancer has made me realize how precious life is and how important it is for us to take every chance to live life to the fullest.
1. witness an accident 目击事故
2. make better decisions 做出更好的决定
3. get hurt 受伤
4. on the way to sth/doing sth 即将，将要
5. do/give/offer first aid 进行急救
6. cover sb with sth 用某物盖某人
7. in case of 万一，以防
8. in honor of 为庆祝，为纪念
9. keep/bear … in mind 记住，牢记
10.prevent /stop/keep sb from doing 阻止某人做某事
11.get in a panic 陷入恐慌
12.respond to sth (a letter/my question) 恢复，回答，回应
13.in response to sth 恢复，回答，回应
The most important thing to keep in mind when dealing with an e
1. is to stay calm.
2. Many hospitals recommend that we use the letters DR ABC to remember what to do when we have to think fast.
3. If the person is not breathing, we must try to start his or her breathing at once, using the mouth-to-mouth method.
4. We should never try to revive a person unless we know how to do it.
5. If I had known more about giving first aid, I could have helped them.
6. If we were to get hurt trying to save someone, we would not be able to help.
1. stress the need for equality and fairness 强调对平等和公正的需要
2. build a better society in harmony with nature 建立一个与自然和谐的美好社会
3. put an end to the death and suffering caused by the big three 结束由三大公害造成的死亡与痛苦
4. There is still time to do sth. 做某事还为时不晚
5. spread across the world 在世界各地传播
6. a better understanding of 对。。。的更好理解
7. make a big difference 大有成效
8. the key to the future 未来的关键
9. take action /measures /steps to do sth. 采取行动/措施做某事
10.be bad for/be harmful to/do harm to 对。。。有害
11.There is still time to do sth. 做某事还为时不晚
1. There is a good chance that we will see less violence and fewer wars 很可能会看到更少的暴力和战争
2. Not until we know more will we be able to improve the situation.
3. Among the speakers was China’s then premier Zhu Rongji, who stressed the need for equality and fairness in the world.
4. Only by changing the way we live can we save the earth.
Had I known that air conditioners cause so much pollution, I would never have bought one.
Without international cooperation, developing countries cannot prosper, nor will sustainable development be possible.
1. be scared to death 吓得要命
2. get into a panic 惊慌失措
3. stand on end 竖立，直立
4. draw one’s attention to 引起/吸引某人的注意
5. all of a sudden 突然地
6. on board 在船上，在车上
7. with the kitchen fire still on 厨房的火还燃着
8. no way out 没有出路
9. all at once 立即，马上
10.light up 点燃，照亮
1. Helped by two slaves he stood up, and immediately fell down dead.
2. he looked more asleep than dead.
3. Upon arrival, my uncle hugged Pompy and tried to give him courage.
4. He paused for a moment wondering whether to turn back as the captain urged him.
5. The Nanshan was on her way from the south to Fuzhou, with Chinese workers on board, returning to their home villages in the province of Fujian.