Book4 Unit3 Language Points
1. Get the students to learn and grasp the usages of the important new words and expressions.
2. Let the students learn the following important sentence patterns: “You may find it astonishing that …” and “Unfortunately his father died, leaving the family even worse off…”
1. Enable the students to use some useful new words and expressions correctly.
2. Get the students to make sentences after the useful sentence patterns.
1. Stimulate students’ interest in learning English.
2. Develop the students’ spirit of group cooperation and teamwork.
Teaching important points
1. Get the students to grasp the usages of such important new words and expressions as content ,entertain ,direct, up to now, cut off…etc.
2. Get the students to master the patterns: “You may find it astonishing that …” and “Unfortunately his father died, leaving the family even worse off…”
Teaching difficult points
1. Let students learn the usage of the word “content” and the expression “cut off”
2. Enable students to learn the sentence pattern : find + it + adj./n + that…
Individual work, discussion and practice.
Step I Revision
1. Check the homework exercises
2. Read the key words and expressions together.
Step II Learning important language points
1. content n. “（作品等的）内容（与形式相对）” “含量” 目录 adj.，意为“满意的，满足的 be content with ...意为“对……满足” be content to do sth. 愿意做某事。
v. 意为“满足，使满足” ，content oneself with sth.使自己满足于……。
1) Most of his poems have a lot of political content.
2) High daytime temperatures increase the sugar content of the grapes.
3) Now my grandmother began to live in peace and content.
4) I always read the contents of a book before judging it.
5) Can you give a description of the contents of your lost wallet?
6) Great people are never content with small success.
7) Being tired of city life, she is content to live in peace in the countryside.
be astonished+ at (by) /to do/that… 被(因)……惊吓
e.g. She was astonished to find he was drunk. 发现他喝醉了, 她很吃惊。
He was much astonished that you had failed. 你居然失败，他大感惊讶。
I was astonished at/by the news. 这消息使我大吃一惊。
astonishing adj. 令人吃惊的
an astonishing remark 惊人之语
astonishment n. 惊异；惊愕；惊奇
in astonishment 愕然， 吃惊地
e.g. She stared at me in astonishment. 她吃惊地瞪着我。
to one’s astonishment 令……惊异的是……
e.g. To our astonishment the little boy swam across the river.
1) We were all entertained by his humourous stories.
2) They often entertained their friends on weekends.
3) Barbecues are a favourite way of entertaining friends.
拓展 entertainment n. 招待，款待，娱乐
entertaining adj. 有趣的，娱乐的，愉快的
1). Every summer they __________ the neighbours at an outdoor party.
2). Children’s TV programmes nowadays are much more ___________.
4. badly off
1). Mrs. Smith was quite badly off for a while after her husband died.
2). No matter how badly off we were, we never went to bed hungry.
3). The school is rather badly off for equipment.
4). Our junior middle school was then badly off for teachers.
【自我归纳】 badly off多与be连用，意为“穷的，生活困难的；”（句1和句2）、“缺少的”（句3和句4），badly off for意为“缺乏”。
【拓展】 well off有钱的，富裕的（badly off的反义词）
worse off境况差一些（更糟）的（badly off的比较级）
better off较富裕的，环境较好的（well off的比较级）
练习 ：从 A、B、C、D四个选项中选出最佳选项。
1). They don’t seem too badly _____ - they have nice clothes and a good house.
A. on B. over C. for D. off
2). The people there were badly off _____ medicine and food after the big earthquake.
A. with B. for C. from D. on
5. cut off
1). We were cut off in the middle of our phone conversation.
2). If you don’t pay your gas bill on time, you may be cut off.
3). They were then almost completely cut off from the outside world.
【归纳总结】 cut off意为“使电话中断”（句1）、“切断，停掉”（句2）、“隔绝，断绝”（句3）。
【联想】 cut in插进来说，插嘴，夹塞，干预
1). The floods _____ us _____ from our homes.
2). Julia had been completely _____ by all her family and friends.
6. up to now
.Up to now nobody has been able to do this better than Charlie Chaplin.
up to now直到现在，一般与现在完成时连用。
Up to now, the program has saved thousands of children who would otherwise have died.
7. pick out挑出，辨别出
a. (从同类当中) 选出……；选择
e.g. She picked out a pink dress for her daughter. 她给女儿挑了一件粉红色的衣服。
e.g. Can you pick out your mother in this crowd? 你能在人群中找到你的妈妈吗？
pick off 摘取 pick oneself up（倒下的人）站起来
pick up 拾起，（车，船）搭载客人,驾车去接（人），接收（信号，广播、电视节目），学会（语言） pick up with 在偶然机会认识（人）
direct v. “导演”， adj. 直的；直线的；直达的; 坦白的；率直的。
e.g. Charlie Chaplin wrote, directed and produced the films he starred in.
There is no direct train from here to Taiyuan. 此地没有直达太原的火车。
a direct road to London 直通伦敦的路
fly in a direct line 直线飞行
Step III Homework用上面的单词或短语填空。
1. He was in hospital for six months. He felt as if he was _____ from the outside world.
2. Judging from his expression, he was _______ (content) with his work.
3. The car rushed at an ___________ (astonish) speed.
4. The play was ________ (direct) by a very famous director.
5. When he read the book a second time, he found it ___________ (entertain).
Keys:1. cut off 2. content 3. astonishing 4. directed 5. entertaining