M2U1 Reading: Boy missing, police puzzled
1. To learn how to read a news story.
2. To be able to understand the article better.
Step 1 Lead-in
1. Do you often read newpapers?
2. How do you select the news you'd like to read?
3. Guess what happened in the story according to the title and the pictures.
Step 2 Skimming & Scanning
What's the news about? ___________________;
Who was missing?_______________;
When and where was the boy missing?_____________________;
How old is the boy?_______________;
Why did this incident receive great interest?___________________________
Step 3 Detailed reading
Read the text carefully and use the information from the text to fill in the form.(no more than 3 word in each blank)
Title: Boy missing, police puzzled
1 Supporting details
Part 1 (para. __)
Justin Foster went missing. A boy called Justin went missing, and the police 2 for him.
Part 2 (para.____)
Justin Foster returned home. At 8 am, Justin went to play3 with two friends, who say Justin went home after the game.
At 10:45 pm, 4 saw Justin walking towards his house.
At 11 pm, Kelly heard her brother 5
Part 3 ( para.____)
Justin Foster was taken away by aliens. Kelly was woken up by a bright light and saw a large spaceship flying outside with lots of strange creatures 6 .
Mavis said she had been 7 the UFO and luckily was returned home without any 8 .
While the police have not 9 the idea that Justin was taken by aliens, they are looking into other 10 as well.
Step 4 Questions & Answers
1. Discuss your difficulties with your group members
2. Raise some questions which you can not solve within groups. Other groups may
help to answer those questions.
Step 5 Consolidation(巩固)
Interview: work in groups, and each group acts as Kelly, Mrs Mavis Wood and detective Sam Peterson, using the expressions below to get the help.
Kelly heard sb. return / … put on … /pull back …
/see … spaceship / inside … creatures …
/hear … shout /disappear … /tried to wake up…
Mavis Wood ...happened to.../Aliens took … aboard so that …
/Luckily, … without injuries./I think Justin was …
Sam Peterson …no hard evidence…/…haven't dismissed …/
…looking into …/ …sometimes make up …
/…not give up …
1. Finish exercises C1, C2, D &E on pages 4-5.
2. Please give an ending to the story.