Unit 12 Life is full of the unexpected.
Section A 1 (1a-2d)
Do you remember any unexpected situation in your daily life?
Ask: What do you think of the people in these pictures?
Ss: They look scared/bad.
T: What happened to the boy?
Ss: He broke his arm. He is getting an electric shock.
T: I was late for work today. When I got up, I found my clock had rung. It was 7:30.
By the time I went to the bathroom, my son had been in. So I had to wait. When I
went out, I found my motorbike had broken down. (老师讲述自己迟到的经历，激起学生对一下内容的学习)。
Now look at the picture, let’s learn something about Tina’s bad day。
1. Work on 1a. Ask Ss to look at the pictures in 1a and ask: What happened to the
2. Think and discuss in group: What happened to the girl?
3. Ask Ss to tell a story about the girl.
Work on 1b.
(1) 构成：由“助动词 had (用于各种人称和数) + 过去分词”构成否定式：
had not + 过去分词 缩写形式：hadn’t
① 表示过去某一时间可用 by, before 等构成的短语来表示。
② 也可以用 when, before 等引导的时间状语从句来表示。
When I got there, you had already eaten your meal.
By the time he got here, the bus had left.
V. Pair work
Work on 1c. Take turns being Mary. Look at the pictures and talk about what
happened this morning.
1. Listen to the tape for the first time and finish 2a.
Listen to Mary continue her story. Number the pictures [1-4] in the correct order.
2. Listen to the tape for the second time and finish 2b. 新- 课 -标 -第 -一- 网
Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs in brackets. Then listen again
and check your answers.
3. Retell the story.
1. Finish 2c. Make up an ending for the story and share it with your partner.
2. Ask several students to tell their stories in class.
1. Ask Ss to role-play the conversation in 2d.
2. Answer the questions:
1) Why was Kevin late for class?
2) How did Kevin get to school?
Finish a task: 想想自己是否有倒霉的经历，向全班同学讲述自己的事情的经过。
I had a bad day last weekend…..
X. Language points
1. Life is full of the unexpected.
unexpected adj. 出乎意料的；始料不及的新 课 标 第 一 网
e.g. It will not be unexpected if Tom comes late again, because he is always like
2. By the time I got up, my brother had already gotten in the shower.
by the time 在……以前,常引导表示过去的时间状语从句，主句常用过去完成
e.g. By the time I got there, he had already left.
3. So I just quickly put on some clothes and rushed out the door.
rush out 冲出去, 冲出……
e.g. Henry rushed out the room and disappeared in the rain.
Julia rushed out and didn’t return. 朱丽叶冲了出去, 再没回来。
4. Luckily, Carl’s dad saw me on the street and gave me a lift in his car.
gave …a lift 捎……一程
e.g. Could you give me a lift, please?
Jim gave me a lift on my way home yesterday.
1. Tom __________, running after his brother in the dark night yesterday.
2. __________ I was 10, I had been able to either play piano or violin.
3. _________, Sammy! I have been late for you to go to school.
Write out the story of Mary, note to use the target language．
Section A 2 (3a-3c)
block, in line with, worker, stare, disbelief, above, burn, burning, alive, airport, till ,
1. Could you please make sentences with these words and phrases below?
2. Please make your own sentences. X k B 1 . c o m
By the time I got home, _____________.
By the time I came in, ______________.
3. Retell the story of Mary’s bad day according to the pictures in 1a and 2a.
Tell Ss Life is full of the expected. Did you experience the expected things? Share
your story with the class.
Work on 3a. Read the passage and answer the questions:
1) Which two events does the writer mention?
2) How did the writer end up missing both events?
1. Ask Ss to have a look at the questions before they start.
2. Let Ss complete the work on their own.
3. After a while, ask some students to report their answers to the class．Write the
events on the blackboard as they report．
4. After checking the answers, tell students to read the article again more carefully．
1) 学习掌握下列单词和短语：block, in line with, worker, stare, disbelief, above,
burn, burning, alive, airport, till , west
Life is full of the unexpected.
I was about to go up when I decided to get a coffee first.
As I was waiting in line with other office workers, I heard a loud sound.
Before I cold join the others outside to see what was going on, the first plane had
already hit my office building.