1. Background information：
A: Students：38 Junior high school students, Grade 1
B: Lesson duration: 40 mins
2. Teaching content：Unit9 My favorite subject is science? Section A (1a-2d).
3. Teaching Methods: Video-audio method, Task-based approach, Communicative-based approach
4. Teaching Aims:
A: New words: P.E., art, science, music, math, Chinese, geography, history, fun, interesting, boring, difficult, relaxing etc.
B: New language: “What’s your favorite…?” “My favorite …is….” “Why do you like…?” “Because it’s….”
C: Learn to use descriptive adjective to talk about preference: fun, interesting, boring, difficult, relaxing etc.
A: Communicative function: to talk about preferences and give reasons
B: Language skills: listening and oral skills
C: Learning strategies: cooperative learning
A: Set up the right view on how to be a good student
B: Cultivate their team sprit in the pair work
5. Teaching important points：
A：Learn the pronunciation of the important words.
B: Communicate with others with the new sentence patterns
B: Learn to talk about preferences and give reasons
6. Teaching difficult points:
A: how to accurately modify one people’s preference with the adjectives
B: Students’ speaking ability
7. Teaching Procedure：
Teaching steps Name of activity/task Teacher’s activities Students’ activities
Warming up and
lead in Lead in to the topic of this lesson with a video about Harry Potter. Later, ask Ss that “Do you like the film?” And After then tell Ss, “I like this film best. It’s my favorite movie. I like Harry Potter, because he is a good student. He works very hard and does so well. Let’s see how he works, ok?” Show Ss pictures about Harry Potter in PPT. Ss are required to guess the name of the movie through a video.
Free talk 1. Raise a question: What’s your favorite movie and why?
2. Ask Ss to find a partner and share their own opinion. Talk about their favorite movie and tell the reasons.
Purpose 1、用电影Harry Potter预告片作为本课热身，顺利引入本单元的重点话题“What’s your favorite…? My favorite…is….”让学生习得询问他人最喜爱的东西、以及表达自己意见的句型，为完成下一步的语言目标提供语言支持，同时激活课堂气氛
Vocabulary teaching 1. Show Ss some subjects of Harry Potter in magic school and ask Ss “What subject do we have?”
2. Lead in new words which will be taught and learnt with pictures in PPT. (words: P.E., art, science, music, math, Chinese, geography, history, fun, interesting, boring, difficult, relaxing etc.)
3. Practice(1a,1b P49) 1. Learn the new words.
2. Finish the exercise 1a, 1b in P49
Sentence patterns learning Teach the usage of the target language, “talk about preferences” and “give reasons”. The sentence patterns are “What’s your favorite…?” “My favorite …is….” “Why do you like…?” “Because it’s….”The descriptions are “fun, interesting, boring, difficult, relaxing etc.” After then, practice( 1c.2a.2b) Learn the target language and practice it.
Purpose 1、通过介绍Harry Potter在魔法学校的课程，牢牢抓住学生的兴趣，从而引出学生平时的课程，使话题贴近生活，也使学生比较容易接受。在掌握新单词的前提下，进行必要的拓展，有利于扩大学生的视野。
Step-3 Oral task
1. Divide Ss into groups. Ask Ss to discuss the topic of 2c
2. Role-play the conversation in 2d. 1. Make their own conversations using the words in 2b.
2. Find a partner and role play.
Survey Ask the students to do a survey and finish the table:
Give them examples:
Name: Harry Potter
subject Broomstick subject
Why Because it’s interesting and exciting
Dislike subject Potion subject
Why because it’s boring
After then, ask some students to report before the class. Do a survey and finish a table:
Make a report before the class.
Homework Write a passage about your favorite stars. Write a passage about your favorite stars.
1.New words: P.E., art, science, music, math, Chinese, geography, history
What’s your favorite…?
My favorite …is….
Why do you like…?
1. Whether the students’ reaction is consistent with my expected effect.
2. What are the points that students find difficult/easy to comprehend
3. What should I improve in teaching this class?
4. How to make the whole teaching procedure more effective?