I. Teaching aims and demands
1. After the learning of this unit the students are supposed to master the following words and expressions :
architecture preference design furniture taste sofa heater honey modern convenient block apartment style stand passage ugly modernism construction unnatural concrete impress roof unfriendly cathedral balcony fantastic despite create seashell sail stadium net net structure paint aside workshop rent development teahouse
2. The students are required to understand and also be able to use the daily expressions in communication:
I’m much more interested……
In my opinion……
I really prefer……
I wouldn’t feel happy if……
I’m not very interested in…….
If you ask me, then……
I prefer something that……
I like seeing something ……
I can’t stand……
3. Grammar: The Past Participle used as Object Complement
4. Language use: The students are got involved in listening, speaking, reading and writing practice to improve their language use abilities.
5.Ethics teaching: After learning this unit, the students are supposed to learn some useful expressions and learn something about architecture.
II. Time arrangement:
This unit is going to be finished in 7 teaching periods including a unit test.
III. Key and difficult points of this unit:
1. Grammar: the past participle is used as object complement
2. Words and useful expressions
3. Daily expressions in communication
4.Listening and writing practice
IV. Teaching aids
tape recorder / computer/ multimedia education software
V. Teaching procedures:
Step 1. To learn all the new words of unit 3.
Step 2. Listening
1. Listen to the tape and tick the words that are used by the woman working in the library.
2. Listen to the tape for the second time, and answer the following questions.
3. Listen to the tape and fill in the chart below. In collections of poetry, poems are put together because they belong to the same group.
Step 3: Speaking
A. Warming up:
Ask the Ss to look at the two pictures and answer the following questions:
1. Describe what you see in the two pictures. Where would you prefer to live? Why?
2. If you were free to design your own dream house, what would that house look like?
3. What words and phrases do you think will be useful when you want to talk about art and architecture?
4. Work in groups and find out the history of art and architecture, names of artists and architects, famous buildings and works of art in the world. Share your ideas with your classmates and teacher.
1. learn the use of the new words.
a. architecture: n
I like the architecture of the Europe.
In Harbin, there are some Russian architecture.
b. architect: n
Who is the architect of the bird net.
Lin huiyin is a excellent architect and poet.
c. preference: n in preference to sb/ sth不愿 Of the two children, His preference is for the boy. She has a preference for blue.
She chose to learn the violin in preference to the piano.
d. design: v
The building is designed very beautifully.
She designs costume for herself.
We haven’t much furniture.
g. sale: n
The money was raised by the sale of his car.
Sales are up this month.
The painting isn’t for sale.
h. stuff: n
What stuff is this jacket made of ?
A kind of plastic stuff is used to make the plates.
I can’t carry all my stuff alone!
The floor was made of wooden blocks.
They want to build an office block.
There are blocks of ice on the sea.
She said she wanted to buy an apartment.
Tom is in the apartment above me.
She is a popular writer and I like her style.
The letter is written in a formal style.
l. stand: n vt
I can’t stand people smoking in my room.
Can you stand his bad temper?
Outside the school, there are some stands.
He glanced at his watch, then went away.
n. ugly: adj
He has an ugly scar on the forehead.
2. learn the useful expressions.
I’m much more interested……
In my opinion, …..
I really prefer…….
I wouldn’t feel happy if …….
I’m not very interested in …….
I don’t get very excited about……
3. Look at the pictures and talk with your partner which of the things below you prefer.
4. learn the dialogue, then ask the Ss to make a dialogue by themselves.
I prefer playing the piano to playing the violin.
She prefers physics to chemistry.
b. would rather
I would rather you were my sister.
He would rather read a novel than see a film.
Step 4: Reading
1. pre-reading: Discuss these questions with your partner.
a. look at each picture and describe what you see. What does it look like?
b. Look at the pictures and the title of the text and read the sentences below. Do you think the text will be about the following topics? Write yes or no.
1. ask the Ss to read the text and underline the sentences that they don’t understand.
2. deal with the language points.
a. go against
We can’t do things that go against natural principles.
Their deed goes against original plan.
The matter goes against them. 这件事不利于他们。
Our school constructed a gym for the students.
At present, two teaching buildings are under construction.
d. concrete: n adj vt
Concrete is used in modern architecture.
We should make a concrete analysis of concrete problems.
The workers are concreting the cement
His behavior impressed me most.
These stamps are all impressed.
f. act as
In the play, he acted as a policeman.
He acts as my English teacher.
There are some fantastic flowers here.
The buildings are of fantastic shape.
h. Despite: pre = in spite of
He remains modest despite his achievements.
He came to school despite his illness.
It was the people who created the world.
The wealth of the society is created by labouring people.
They are creating a theatre.
j. fill with 变得充满
His room filled with smoke because they were smoking.
k. Be filled up with = be full of
The bottles are filled up with water. = The bottles are full of water.
The students of medicine are studying the structure of the human body.
Do you know the structure of the plant?
answer the questions below.
1. What do the words in bold refer to ?
2. Scan the text and find two architects whose work was inspired by nature. What inspire them?
3. Describe your feelings about the design of the 2008 Olympic Stadium in Beijing. What idea do you think the architect wants to express?
Step 5: Language Study and Grammar
1. Word study
a. Try to match the words on the left with the correct meaning on the right.
Study the example and fill in the blanks with the words in the box.. You may changed the form if necessary.
2. Grammar: The past participle is used as object complement.
Step 6: Integrating skills
1. read the text and try to find some sentences that you don’t understand and underline them.
2. deal with the language points.
a. pull down
Those old houses have been pulled down.
The panic pulled down the stock price.
The spring is coming, we should decorate the house.
The dancing hall is decorated with colourful balloons.
c. remind remind sb of sth
He reminded me that I should call mother up.
The film reminded me of my childhood.
He reminded me to lock the door.
d. set aside
He set his toys aside.
You should set the bag aside for Tom.
Homework: to write an essay about the advantages and disadvantages of using old buildings to create an art center.